Dr. Hanzlik is a clinical psychologist and an AASECT-certified sex therapist who works with children, adolescents, and adults to provide psychological evaluation services and individual, couples, and family therapy serving the Indianapolis area. She has trained and worked in a variety of clinical settings including an inpatient psychiatric hospital, a college counseling center, and community mental health centers. She worked in group private practice for several years before opening her own private practice in 2015. In order to better serve the needs of the community, Dr. Hanzlik transitioned from independent practice to group practice in 2018 and renamed the practice Integrated Psychological Center of Indiana (IPCI).
Dr. Hanzlik was trained as a generalist to treat a variety of mental health concerns, including depression, anxiety, and behavioral issues, for individuals across the lifespan (children, adolescents, adults, and older adults). She was also trained in providing therapy for individuals, couples, and families.
One aspect that makes Dr. Hanzlik unique is having obtained additional post-graduate training in sexual concerns, and she is one of the few AASECT-certified sex therapists in the Indianapolis area, as well as across the state of Indiana. In addition to treating sexual concerns, her other areas of expertise include trauma work (including approaching trauma treatment from a tri-phasic model and the use of EMDR [Eye-Movement, Desensitization, and Reprocessing], couples therapy, and psychological assessment/evaluation. Please refer to the Services Provided tab for more information.
Dr. Hanzlik is trained in a number of theoretical and applied therapeutic orientations including psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, humanistic-existential, family systems, emotionally-focused couples therapy, and Gottman couples therapy work. Her therapeutic approach includes creating a safe, accepting, and collaborative therapeutic space to allow the healing process to occur freely. After therapeutic goals are set, she balances utilizing practical, applied tools with the exploration of factors that fuel or underlie presenting symptoms. This approach facilitates immediate symptom relief while working on long-lasting change.
In addition to providing therapy and psychological evaluation (testing) services, Dr. Hanzlik frequently presents to general audiences, as well as at regional conferences, training centers, medical schools, and graduate schools, to provide continuing education and training speaking on the topics of incorporating sexual health into psychological and medical practice, trauma-informed care, and effective parenting practice. Dr. Hanzlik is also available for media interviews on any of her areas of expertise.
- The University of Delaware–Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology–Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology (MA)
- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Chicago Campus-Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (PsyD)
License, Certifications & Awards
- Health Service Provider in Psychology (HSPP) License #20042561A
- AASECT-Certified Sex Therapist (American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists)
- Distinguished Contribution by an Early Career Psychologist (Indiana Psychological Association, 2016)
- Outstanding Mentoring in Indiana Psychology (Indiana Psychological Association, 2017)
- Notable Achievements as an Early Career Psychologist (American Psychological Association, 2019)
- EMDR (Eye-Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) Training through EMDR Consulting–40 hours of training, 10 hours of consultation, EMDRIA-Approved (January/February 2017)
- ISSTD Professional Training–Assessment and Treatment of Traumatized Children & Adolescents with Dissociative Symptoms and Disorders (January-June 2012)
- Externship in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy by Dr. Sue Johnson (Fall 2009)
- Loyola Medical Center Sexual Dysfunction Clinic–Maywood, IL (Fall 2007)
- Post-Partum Support International (PSI) 2-Day Perinatal Mood Disorder: Components of Care Certificate/Advanced Psychotherapy
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Indiana Psychological Association: Board of Directors, Past-President (current); Board of Directors, President (2019); Board of Directors, President-Elect (2018); Board of Directors, Past Secretary (2015-2017); Executive Committee Member (2015-present); Continuing Education Committee Liaison (present); Communications Committee Member (2015-2017); Fall Conference Committee Member (2014)
- American Psychological Association: Division 42 Member & Clinical Column Newsletter Editor (Independent Practice); Division 56 Member (Trauma Psychology); Division 39 (Psychoanalysis)
- American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, & Therapists (AASECT)
- International Society for the Study of Trauma & Dissociation (ISSTD)
- International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)